Wednesday, November 22, 2006

OK Scrooges, Time to Shape Up the Attitude!

Something I've never really understood is bad attitudes about the Holidays. I realize there are certain factors that may make the Holidays hard, for SOME, but not for all. For instance, one of my best friends, who was my roommate for 5 years, always HATED Christmas. She'd get all mopey and depressed. BUT SHE HAD NO REASON TO DO SO. Nothing traumatic had happened in her life, nobody died during this time of year, or really ever. (She's one of those lucky people who hasn't had family members die tragically, or out of order.) Her family all celebrated Christmas with their own special traditions, and seemed to love the season. So why did she hate it? She couldn't tell you. She just acted depressed because it's become the trend. People think they are being SO cool by being scrooges, by acting depressed, just because it's Christmas. Get a life!

What is so uncool about loving traditions? About celebrating something? In my family, Christmas is all about the family, love, togetherness. We celebrate having one-another and loving and being loved. We have specific traditions we follow each year because we love them. I love taking my kids caroling in December, and they love it, and our neighbors love it. How wonderful it is to take them around the city to look at all the lights and decorations, to see their faces light up and the smiles on their faces. Our home is filled with joy that lingers most of the year because this is the time we come together and solidify that we are a family.

If loving this season makes me a geek, so be it. I'll take the label, I don't care. If you're going to get all pissed off because the stores are starting to sell stuff for the holiday before Thanksgiving, then obviously you have no real worries in your life, because, does it really hurt you or affect the rest of your life if you walk into a store and see holly and berries, wreaths, and hear jingle bells? Would you melt if you just let yourself enjoy life a little instead of constantly looking for things to complain about? Besides, with all the complaints about the holidays I've seen online, I've also noticed that a whole lot of you have already switched your blog templates to holiday themes...and it's not even Thanksgiving yet!

Be happy, Santa Claus is coming to town!!!

No comments:

You Aren't Forgotten