Monday, January 8, 2007

Build or Remodel....the Dilema of the Day

One of the things I have to do for my family is find a way to get us in a bigger home. Right now, I'm thinking of just adding on to our current home, but am not sure the neighborhood association would allow us to do all we want to do. See, I need 3 more bedrooms, and two more bathrooms. Wow, writing it down sure makes it seem like a lot more than when I am just talking about it! Especially when I tell you we already have 4 bedrooms!!

But just listen. Right now, my mom lives in the master and has her own bathroom, but my 3 year old sleeps in there with her. I live in one of the rooms with my youngest baby, he's two. I have a ten and a half year old girl, an eight year old girl and a four and a half year old girl sharing the large bonus room using two sets of bunk beds. And, a few years ago, we built a walk-in closet for that room that uses up some of our garage space. Then I have a near eighteen year old living alone in the last bedroom, with a set of bunk beds.

The things that bother me and I want changed are as follows:

  • I hate sharing one bathroom with all the kids (six of them)!!! I need my own bathroom, it's the only reason I grew up, so I could get my own!!
  • My eight year old is my child, and I want her to have her own room, not continually have changing roommates like she does.
  • My ten and a half year old is a foster child, but will be with me until she ages out at eighteen, and so I would also like her to have her own space since this is her permanent home.
  • I need my own space and want my two year old out of my room. My mom also needs her own space and needs my three year old out of her room. The two boys could feasibly share a room!
  • The seventeen-near-eighteen year old has to go.

So the plan for remodel would include building two bedrooms with a Jack-and-Jill bathroom and an open TV/sitting area above the garage side of the house, increasing the size of my room to make it a master suite adding a bathroom and office area, adding another bedroom on my side of the house, turning the small bedroom into a play room, and then enclosing the back patio to make a dining room so we can increase the size of our kitchen to a workable size. Is that a lot for an addition/remodel? I'd apply to Extreme Makeover, but I'm not sure I can make our story sad and tragic enough to be accepted!

And to build a house with everything we need...seems it would be awfully expensive!! I don't know which way would be best financially. What do you think?

No comments:

You Aren't Forgotten