Thursday, January 25, 2007

I'm Addicted!

OK, so there's all these things out there. If you come from a family with a history of alcoholics, you have the disposition to become one yourself. If you come from a family with drug addicts, you have a good chance of becoming addicted if you try them. Last night my mom informed me that if you are a Pisces, you have a good chance of becoming addicted to, well, anything. I'm not sure that was a statement from rigorous scientific study, or something she made up to make whatever point she was making at the time.

But I do think some people are prone to addictions for whatever reason. When I was younger and in full party mode, one day I stopped and took a long hard look at myself. My father and oldest brother were both already alcoholics, and I started to think I might be headed that way. I was drinking at least 3 nights a week, and was drinking so much each time I was blacking out nearly every time I drank. So I changed my life. I moved to another college, made new friends, and focused more on school and job than partying. I didn't stop drinking all together, but if you asked me when the last time I took a drink was, I couldn't tell you.

I also quit smoking a little over a year ago. That has been very hard for me, and very few days go by that I don't want a cigarette. But I have reasons that make me keep from buying a pack, and those reasons are winning over my lack of will power. So I'm smoke free. That's not to say I don't love walking past someone just as they exhale so I can get a little whiff. (It's a sick addiction, really!)

So what does that leave me? I never used drugs more than recreationally, and haven't even done that in over 10 years. What are my new vices? Don't we all need vices? It's arrogant to strive for perfection, and unrealistic!

Don't laugh, I do have a new addiction.... SUDOKU! I can't believe myself sometimes. Yesterday I sat at work and did literally nothing but play Sudoku. I've become quite good at it. And I actually CRAVE it when I'm not playing. What's wrong with me? Who becomes addicted to a number game? I'm a freak. I think my mom had it wrong, Scorpios are the ones with addictive personalities!! Gotta go, my Sudoku book is getting cold. Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Gabriela said...

LOL, I didn't see that coming.

Sudoku is pretty addictive, I've been there. But I think it is a healthy addiction, so it's okay.

I don't know if I'm addicted to something, maybe to the blogosphere.=)

By the way, doing something about your addictions was a really strong thing to do. Good for you. =)

XoXo
Gaby

cube said...

From your avatar I would've guessed an addiction to bamboo shoots not Sudoku, but number games are way better for your health ;-)

You Aren't Forgotten