Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Other People's Problems

My radio station does this segment every Tuesday called "Other People's Problems" where someone sends in an email stating their current problem, and the Treasure Valley tries to give them advice on how to solve it. Sometimes the problems are interesting and people give pretty good advice. Today I have mixed feelings:

A lady was driving her child to the bus stop and saw another child already there who was smoking. Smokey was about 13. The concerned mom decided to go to his mother and let her know what she saw, but when she went to their house, mom was lighting up with Smokey, and obviously didn't have a problem contributing to her son's future health problems. The concerned mom then emailed the radio station so we could all get involved.

Some people called in saying she should call the police. Some said she should call the school. Then one lady said she should mind her own business - giving the lady a ticket and her son suspension wouldn't stop them, obviously the problem runs much deeper. I kind of agree. I don't think it's right for the lady to be supplying her son with cancer, but IF the police even respond to the complaint, all they'll do is give her a ticket and be on their way...they won't be back out to check on her. But while I agree with this, I think something should be done about a problem like this, I just don't know what. Do you?

1 comment:

mikster said...

Why a parent would provide/condone their child smoking is unbelievable to me. Very sad.

You Aren't Forgotten